Six-Word Memoir


There's truly no place like home

Image result for new jersey




New Jersey communities tend to live under the shadow of New York City. It helps remind the residents that greater opportunities are out there and because of this I remember growing up and moving away from home was all anyone could talk about in high school. I was one of the lucky few who was fortunate enough to stick with their plans and at 17 years old I enlisted in the military. I bounced around from state to state and have lived everywhere from Mississippi to California. I experienced city-life while living in the Washington DC area for a few years and ultimately, when it was time to return to college I chose here in San Diego (to get out of the cold weather). Now at 24 years old, I learned that through all the moving and traveling, I always end up home at least once a year. As life evolves and becomes more complex I realize the same eagerness that drove me to leave home when I was younger gets replaced by a sense of comfort and familiarity whenever I do get to visit.

Comments

  1. Nice post, Felix. I left home at age 18 and moved to San Diego from Colorado. For about the first 15 or 20 years, I got a sense of "ahhhh" whenever I drove home and could see the Rocky Mountains. I don't know, "comfort and familiarity" were part of it, as you say. There really is no place like home.

    Somewhere along the way, here became home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felix,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I haven’t ever been to New Jersey, in fact I haven’t really ever visited anywhere on the east coast- one of these days I’ll get there! I thought your observation about how living “living under the shadow of New York City” motivated others to go out and seek opportunities, was a really interesting point! I have a lot of respect for those in our military, so thank you! I completely understand wanting a break from cold, long winters. I grew up with very cold winters in Montana, and San Diego was a pleasant change. It’s true what you said about the desire to go back to your roots, the comfort and familiarity of being home. I graduated at the start of May, and have recently moved back to Montana. I don’t know how long I will stay here but it certainly does feel good to be back with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I am from the East coast as well and know about the shadow that New York tends to cast on most of New England. I'm sure the weather had a lot to do with the fact you live in San Diego, I know for me it was one of the biggest contributors.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Felix!

    I truly agree with the six words you chose. I have lived in Orange County for 18 years, and was eager to leave and grow in a new area. Being in San Diego without my parents for almost three years has pushed me to grow independently. Even though I absolutely love the new city I live in, nothing beats being at home. Whenever I visit home I do feel that sense of comfort and familiarity. It is a feeling that only being in Orange County can give me. Your post is a great reminder to never forget where we came from and to truly cherish and value the times spent at home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment